Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Post from the Home Land Part III...

Current status: VERY EXHAUSTED

Countdown status: 3 days to D-Day

Just one month ago, my status was just one of the family members attending the wedding. I wasn't assigned any special role because I couldn't be a part of much of the preparations. And yesterday, I was handed quite a big role. I'm now the "unofficial" maid of honor. You see...in Indo, there's no such thing as maid of honor. There's only one bridesmaid who only needs to take care of the bride's gown at the church when she's walking down the aisle. I'm not that bridesmaid because that role has been given to the groom's brother's girlfriend since long time ago. Here's the list of tasks that I was given to:

A few days ago - went with my sister to the fitting. Helping her to choose the accessories for the wedding.

Yesterday - in the morning, looked at the venue and met up with the wedding organizer and decorator to finalize the layouts. In the afternoon, went to find all the necessary things (red flowers, red napkins and all red stuffs) for the teh pai (a Chinese tradition). At night, looked at and studied the finalized schedule to make sure everything will go smoothly according to the schedule on D-day.

Tomorrow - lunch meeting with the crew that my dad assembled for the wedding (mostly some office boys and ladies) and the event organizers (a total of 8 people) at the hotel. Making sure my dad's crew understand their roles in the wedding. Explaining the final layout of the venue so that they know where their stations are. And making sure all of their questions are answered.

Friday - Picking up guests at the airport in the morning. And have a small family dinner (Widodari) with the groom's family to introduce each other's family officially.

D-day - In the morning, has to make sure that everyone's getting their make-up done by 7 AM. During the teh pai procession at 8 AM, I would be working closely with the wedding and event organizers to make sure the teh pai procession go smoothly. Making sure we all leave to go to the church by 11:15 AM. At the church, making sure that all of the "persembahan" are well-placed and making sure there will be people standing on guard at the gift-slash-ang bao desk at all time. I will be one of the persons bringing the "persembahan" up front during the mass. After church, we all leave to go straight to the hotel. Soon after arriving at the hotel, I will immediately need to call the event organizers to stand on guard at the lobby to give room keys to distribute to several guests that we're providing rooms for. And then, I will immediately go to my hotel room to have my make-up redone. Everything has to be done by 4:50 PM. At 5 PM, everyone (all family members from both sides, including cousins, aunts, grandma, etc) is expected to come down to the grand dining room to have dinner together before the reception. Family pictures will be taken at 6:30 PM followed by a short rehearsal for the reception. At 7 PM, everyone should already be in their station at the venue. After the bride and groom have make their entrance to the ballroom, I would be working closely with the wedding and event organizers once again to make sure the reception desk will always be guarded by the people assigned to be there. Family members would also be expected to sit at the tables provided for family in the VIP section and not at the tables provided for my dad's guests. I would be standing with my cousins and several other people at 8 PM to greet guests for one hour. After the final wedding picture, my role as the "unofficial" maid of honor ends. I might probably sleep very soundly that night (unfortunately, I couldn't sleep for too long since I have to be at the airport by 12 PM to go back to the states. *sigh*...I hope I won't fall ill because of exhaustion.)

A wedding for 3000 people is definitely a little too big. If only we could just have one of those weddings where we all have tables for everyone so that it wouldn't be so hectic and it just would be much simpler.

No comments: